Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Washington Education Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: Can public schools make transgender students use private bathrooms only?

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 26, 2018



That sounds like a possible violation of WA State law re: allowing transgender people to use public restrooms. More details are necessary to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: can i sue a school for mis handeling my federal student funds

a college im attending has mis handled my federal funds to the point of it causing me to fail my cklasses its been over two months and they wont disburse my money or even give me access to it

Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 26, 2018

It depends on what you mean by mishandled. If they violated laws re: the disbursements, that's one thing. If they are refusing to release to you your funds for valid reasons such as non-enrollment, that's a different story. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: my son told me he was molested 2 years ago by another kid. the bus and the school failed to notify us what can we do?

Ryan Ford answered on Aug 29, 2018

Do you have reason to believe that the bus driver or school or school district was aware your son was molested by the other child?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: There is a group of teachers being bullied by our principal. We have gone to HR several years with the same complaints.

Nothing is being done. What can we do to stop the bullying.

Ryan Ford answered on Jun 28, 2018

What is the nature of the bullying? Please provide more detail. Thank you.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: My district won't evaluate my kid for special needs -- how do I appeal this?

Lori E. Arons answered on Feb 25, 2018

As a parent, guardian or advocate, you have a legal right to request that your public school evaluate your child for special education. Federal law, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act as amended in 2004 (IDEA), gives you that right. States are obligated “identify, locate, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Washington on

Q: My sons school has not followed the bulling policy by legislation. What are the next steps?

School has not made any reports when my son and I have complained about bullying, they said they would move the other students but have not done so, and another school did not follow the IEP the year before.

Ryan Ford answered on Jan 11, 2018

Regarding the bullying issue you could file a formal Harassment, Intimidation Bullying (HIB) complaint with the District.

Depending on the nature of the bullying and the District's failures you may have a viable negligence or Section 504 lawsuit against the District.

If the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Family Law and Education Law for Washington on

Q: is there a law that daycare centers MUST prorate for days the child misses it they are there full time?

My sons dad is trying to get out of paying for daycare unless they prorate cuz he misses 5 days. He is now 2 months behind in daycare.

Ryan Ford answered on Aug 3, 2017

There's no law that I'm aware of. You look at the terms of the contract you signed and agreed to. If the contract says prorate, you prorate. If the contract says it's a fixed rate regardless of days missed, you pay in full. If the contract is silent, there's a decent argument the fee should be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on

Q: How old do you have to be to drop out of highschool on your own in Washington state?

Ryan Ford answered on Jul 11, 2017

Like all other states, Washington State has a compulsory attendance law. For Washington, children from 8 - 18 must attend school with few exceptions.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Education Law for Washington on

Q: Can you record conversation that you are a party too?

if I call my daughters school can I record conversation of their office employee who lies about prior conversations and has caused problems but her supervisor didn't believe you before so you will be able to prove it? (Can't say it is being recorded because then she won't speek freely) if you only... Read more »

Ryan Ford answered on Jul 11, 2017

No. Pursuant to RCW 9.73.030, you may not record your conversation with the office employee without her consent. RCW 9.73.030 does, however, offer a caveat:

"Where consent by all parties is needed pursuant to this chapter, consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.