Yorktown, VA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Virginia

Q: Father wants to stop paying bills, he is the sole provider, can he legally just stop paying?

My Father has found out my mom cheated 3 years ago, though he cheated multiple times 15 years ago. He is the sole provider of the household and my mother is in nursing school. He says he is going to stop paying the bills and let the house foreclose. can he let this happen? i think his name is on the house and not my mom. he says if my mom leaves he will continue paying the bills and support me. i am 17 and still in school if that matters.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Goldman
Steven Goldman

A: While there is nothing currently stopping the Father from taking these actions, the Court can act on this and require the Father to pay the bills or pay the Mother support. This is what is referred to as a pendente lite order (pending the litigation). This stays in place throughout the duration of divorce proceedings until there is a final resolution of the matter. A pendente lite motion can often be heard by a Court in a week (and certainly before there is any effect from the non-payment of the mortgage).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.