Pawtucket, RI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: How much notice of a problem do you need to give your landlord before you can withhold rent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island





Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

SECTION 34-18-30

§ 34-18-30. Self-help for limited repairs.

(a) If the landlord fails to comply with subsection of § 34-18-22(a)(1), (2), (4), (5), or (6), and the reasonable cost of compliance is less than one hundred twenty-five dollars ($125), the tenant may cause repairs to be done in a skilled manner, in compliance with applicable state and local codes, and deduct from his or her rent the actual and reasonable cost or the fair and reasonable value of the repairs if:

(1) The tenant notifies the landlord of his or her intention to correct the condition at the landlord's expense; and

(2) The landlord fails to comply within twenty (20) days, or fails to demonstrate ongoing, good faith efforts to comply, after being notified by the tenant in writing; or, in the case of emergency, the landlord either cannot be reached by the tenant, or the landlord fails to comply as promptly as conditions require; and

(3) The tenant submits an itemized statement to the landlord of the cost or the fair and reasonable value of the repairs made.

(b) A tenant may not repair at the landlord's expense if the condition was caused by the deliberate or negligent act or omission of the tenant, a member of his or her family, or other person on the premises with his or her consent.

History of Section.

(P.L. 1986, ch. 200, § 2.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.