Brattleboro, VT asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire

Q: What do I do if I am injured on the clock, then beg for safety issues to be fixed, then instead I get fired?

Injured by broken glass on a Monday, went home. Talked to my boss essentially begging her to fix a bunch of long-ongoing safety and equipment issues before I could come back. She said she'd get in touch with me the next day. Didn't hear from her for three days, then on Friday she fired me. I have a week of unused vacation time, she's trying to deny my unemployment, and I never even wanted to quit. Help?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: This is a complex issue that needs to be worked on with an employment attorney. You may have a suit for wrongful termination based on a public policy claim, but the facts need to be looked at more closely to make that determination. She can' deny your unemployment claim, but you can simply appeal and get a hearing. Under these facts it sounds like you have a good shot of winning. As far as vacation time, all you need to do is call the department of labor and they can handle that issue for you, most employers listen to that department. Feel free to give me a call on the wrongful termination claim or seek out an attorney that handles that specific claim for a more thorough review. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.