New Hampshire Employment Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can you record your boss on the production flor,hallway,warehouse in New Hampshire?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
NH is has a two way recording statute. Both parties need to be told that the other party is recording the other, otherwise is is a serious crime. There are exceptions but this does not sound like one of them. Be careful.

Q: Re applying for position at the same company and being denied.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 30, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
You could ask to see your personnel file, from the time you were working there, and possibly take a look at anything that is in there.

Q: If my husband is salary paid and he works 50+ hrs a week, sometimes 15hr days 6days a week should he be paid overtime?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 24, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
Short answer is, based on these facts is-depends- it depends on what his title and job requirements are. There are federal and state laws that clearly protect employees from being called salary employees when in fact they should be getting overtime pay. You should call the NH Department of Labor. They are very good at handling these issues.Good luck!

Q: Does employer have to pay the 3 wks notice?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 7, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
First of all, congratulations on giving your company a four week notice, that in of itself shows that you are a very conscientious employee and they should appreciate that. I do believe, under your set of facts that yes, if they ask you to leave early you have indeed satisfied the requirement of a two week notice and they would owe you for that accrued vacation time. If they do not fulfill that obligation then you can call the NH Dept of Labor and file a complaint or, hire an attorney for...

Q: What do I do if I am injured on the clock, then beg for safety issues to be fixed, then instead I get fired?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 15, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
This is a complex issue that needs to be worked on with an employment attorney. You may have a suit for wrongful termination based on a public policy claim, but the facts need to be looked at more closely to make that determination. She can' deny your unemployment claim, but you can simply appeal and get a hearing. Under these facts it sounds like you have a good shot of winning. As far as vacation time, all you need to do is call the department of labor and they can handle that issue for you,...

Q: when i return to work from workmans comp do i get the my same positon i had when i left?. i live in newhampshire thank

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 3, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If you had a reduction in pay due to being out comp has to make that up. But contact a member of the NH Assn for Justice because they give free consults and you want to know what to do to protect yourself

Q: How long can my employer keep me on a mandatory unpaid leave not related to conduct?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 8, 2017
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I would look first at the employee handbook to see what the policy is for being forced out of your job or put on unpaid leave and make sure they are following the procedures outlined in the handbook. If there is nothing in the handbook that protects you from this then you should call the Labor Department and let them know about this. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Q: I'm 16, in school, working 65 hours a week. Can I get extra money? Seems a bit illegal. I live in NH. USA.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 28, 2015
Israel Piedra's answer
Unless you work in certain occupations, any time worked over 40 hours/week should be paid at 1.5 times your normal wage. Read the statute for more information: (section VIII)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.