Berlin, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: What happens if someone gets charged with breach of peace for the first time and it's there first ever offence?

I was charged with a breach of peace for flashing someone in a dunkin donuts drive through. I went to court for the first hearing and they let me apply for AR(accelerated rehabilitation) if I get accepted what will I have to do or what are some things I can expect?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindy R. Urso
Lindy R. Urso
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: If you get accepted, the Judge may impose conditions upon you that you must adhere to / comply with in order to ultimately have your matter dismissed. If by "flashing" you mean that you are alleged to have exposed yourself, the Court may impose some sort of "sex offender counseling" for you, which can often be extremely onerous. the Court an also impose any number of other conditions (like Community Service Hours) but he or she may not give you any.

Regardless, it sounds like you need to have the Court approve the program which, upon successful completion, will lead to a DISMISSAL of the charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.