Norfolk, VA asked in Civil Rights, Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Virginia

Q: I allowed this couple to take over payments for my car I cannot afford, but they are not making payments

I am going thru financial issues where I cannot afford my car payments anymore. I am upside down in my loan. To avoid repossession I unwisely allowed this couple to take over my payments in Dec 2017. They did not make the payment in Dec 27 2017 and now its Jan and when I contact them they give me an attitude and excuses like I am bothering them or ignore me. The car is registered in my name at DMV and so these people are running up tolls etc in my name and bills coming to me and they will not pay them. They said the only way they will give me my car back is if I pay 300 for the insurance they paid on it. If I do not pay them they said they will sue me. I believe they are scammers.The police said they cannot get the car back I have to take them to civil court I have no money. I am filing bankruptcy due to my bad financial situations, but won't be able to file to Oct 2018. I am scared of these people. They seem like crooks.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your first stop should be your local Legal Services. They can offer you legal help if you are unable to afford a lawyer. Schedule a time to speak with them.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.