Hyattsville, MD asked in Business Law for Maryland

Q: Do I have to pay Maryland annual back fees for an entity that has never conducted any business?

I registered a business in 2014 in Maryland through a registered agent but soon changed my mind before any business was conducted.

I never paid annual fees and Maryland has finally forfeited the entity. Now Maryland fees are piling up annually and Maryland tells

me that in order to dissolve the entity I must first pay them back fees. Additionally, the registered agent continues to withdraw an

annual membership fee from my credit card because they tell me I can't cancel because Maryland requires me to have a registered agent.

How do I get out from this scam because as I mentioned, I've NEVER conducted any business with this entity? It just exists on paper.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis
  • Bethesda , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I sympathize with you.

When you set up a business you do need to follow the state law requirements and pay all your dues. You should have dissolved the business if you weren’t making any money at all for the first year. That doesn’t mean not making a profit. It means literally not making any money.

At this point you may want to speak to Maryland to see if you can negotiate with them to pay less if you don’t have the funds to pay the back fees. Otherwise, just pay them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.