Greensboro, NC asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: In NC can a 15 yr old female be arrested, charged for assault and battery with property damage? How can we protect him?

My nephew is 17 his ex girlfriend is 15 so far she has assaulted him at school ( slapped him 18 times and spit in his face) she was suspended from school, a few weeks ago. Just today she assaulted him in a mall parking lot, punching him, pulling him out of his vehicle, slapping and punching him in his face and breaking his glasses. He has never laid a hand on her or tried to restrain her. She is very abusive to him both physically and verbally..text messages to prove it. Even a video of the last assault. Can we press charges and have her arrested?? Do we go to the police or the majestrates office??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes she can be charged, but since she is under 16, she will be tried as a juvenile. You should be able to go through the usual channels in order to press charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.