Brewton, AL asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Alabama

Q: If a lawsuit is filed against me how do I pay it?

A lawsuit by a creditor is being filed against me for nonpayment. I leased equipment and it was tore up when I received it. The creditor didn’t want the equipment back and insisted I pay. Well I can’t pay the lump sum they’re asking as my family and I are basically homeless at the moment living with family members due to financial reasons. What are my options to pay this matter off?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Dothan, AL

A: Unfortunately, once a lawsuit is filed, your options are limited. You can settle the debt by making an offer to pay for less than the amount owed and dismissing the case. You can offer to make monthly payments on the debt. Once this lawsuit goes to judgment, then you will be at the mercy of the creditor. With a judgment, they can garnish your wages, levy bank accounts and place liens on property. Of course, bankruptcy would completely wipe this debt out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.