Scottsdale, AZ asked in Tax Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: What steps to take after a parent files taxes incorrectly?

Court order states custodial claims child 1 and non-custodial claims child 2. Custodial claimed 1&2. This is intentional. Currently in court to change child support. Nothing concrete yet to change filing status and/or child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I recommend that you meet with your CPA and make sure that your taxes are filed correctly. You cannot control what your ex does on his tax return. But you can make sure that your return is correct. If there is an audit, your ex will have to support his action in taking both exemptions. If he cannot, he will likely have to pay additional tax and, possibly, penalties and interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.