Suncook, NH asked in Tax Law for New Hampshire

Q: My husband’s employer reported him and other new hires as being exempt from federal withholding when they claimed 0

No taxes were withheld so we now owe. Does he have any recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Your husband will need to pay the taxes he owes. The IRS will be of the opinion that he should have noticed that taxes were not being withheld and corrected the issue. As far as the money that he owes, he can set up a collection alternative if he cannot pay the balance due. If the amount owed is significant I recommend that you seek the assistance of a tax attorney. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on tv and use a competent tax attorney. If the amount due is small and he can pay it, request a first-time penalty abatement from the IRS after he has paid the original tax due. He will still have to pay the interest but the IRS usually grants the penalty abatement if this is the first time a taxpayer has a balance due.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.