Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Hampshire Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for New Hampshire on
Q: My husband’s employer reported him and other new hires as being exempt from federal withholding when they claimed 0

No taxes were withheld so we now owe. Does he have any recourse?

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 11, 2018

Your husband will need to pay the taxes he owes. The IRS will be of the opinion that he should have noticed that taxes were not being withheld and corrected the issue. As far as the money that he owes, he can set up a collection alternative if he cannot pay the balance due. If the amount owed is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for New Hampshire on
Q: Why would a chapter 13 trustee take excess tax refunds if the payment plan is 100% funded payback?

Isn't your disposable monthly income calculated using your gross income which essentially includes the "yearly tax refund" amount? If we are using our disposable income to fund the plan at 100% payback, how is it legal for the trustee to take more to get it faster? Legally don't I get five years to... Read more »

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien answered on Jan 26, 2018


Chapter 13 plans are funded by "disposable income" of the chapter 13 bankruptcy estate, which is based on "household income". Included in most NH chapter 13 plans is a provision that requires chapter 13 debtors to pay over to the trustee all income tax refunds that exceed...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.