New Hampshire Tax Law Questions & Answers

Q: My husband’s employer reported him and other new hires as being exempt from federal withholding when they claimed 0

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 11, 2018
Linda Simmons Campbell's answer
Your husband will need to pay the taxes he owes. The IRS will be of the opinion that he should have noticed that taxes were not being withheld and corrected the issue. As far as the money that he owes, he can set up a collection alternative if he cannot pay the balance due. If the amount owed is significant I recommend that you seek the assistance of a tax attorney. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on tv and use a competent tax attorney. If the amount due is small and he...

Q: Why would a chapter 13 trustee take excess tax refunds if the payment plan is 100% funded payback?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Robert O'Brien's answer

Chapter 13 plans are funded by "disposable income" of the chapter 13 bankruptcy estate, which is based on "household income". Included in most NH chapter 13 plans is a provision that requires chapter 13 debtors to pay over to the trustee all income tax refunds that exceed $1,200, regardless of whether it is an individual or joint case. Since 'disposable income' represents the household income after taxes and required deductions, less approved living expenses for the...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.