Webster, MA asked in Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can you force someone off the deed if an elderly person was taken advantage of?

We have this older person who has no family left in the US. Some time ago she sold her prior house and moved closer to people she knew while her husband was still alive in order for all of us to take better care of her. Her husband has since died and she is left with no family in the US. Unfortunately the woman who helped facilitate the selling of her prior house and the purchase of the new house was added to the deed, our concern is she may have taken advantage of this elderly woman. This elderly woman now wants to alter her deed in the hopes to sell the property so she can move back to Italy. Our concern is that this other woman will not remove herself voluntarily from the deed, is there any legal remedy for this. This issue is in Massachusetts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Is the elderly woman competent and cooperating with you and understanding that the "other woman"'s behavior was questionable? If so then she can hire counsel to seek to revoke the deed based upon the conduct of the "other woman" and should do so as soon as possible. Otherwise a complaint to elder affairs would be a starting point and potentially a Conservator could be appointed to address this misfeasance by the " other woman".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.