York, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: I recieved a parking fine in my friends car in baltimore. If i pay it will it go on my record or hers?

Is there a way to put it on my record and not hers even if it was her car and my fault for parking there?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Mark Oakley

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Parking citations do not go on your driving record. They only act as a flag on vehicle registration if they go unpaid, and may result in late fees and increased penalties and, ultimately, suspension of the registration and tags. The ticket only references the vehicle, so only the registered owner is known to the MVA in the event the ticket goes unpaid. It is not possible for the ticket writer to know who drove a particular car. So, only the owner will receive any notices of unpaid violations. The ticket, even unpaid, will not appear on the owner’s Driving record.

1 user found this answer helpful

Lynndolyn Tippins Mitchell

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You should pay it on your friend's behalf. You will need the information regarding your friend's car to insure that the ticket is paid in a timely fashion.

Lynndolyn T. Mitchell

Law Office of Lynndolyn Mitchell PC

401 East Jefferson St. #201

Rockville, Maryland 20850


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.