Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Health Care Law for Ohio

Q: Abusive mother with munchausens; how can I make sure she gets treatment and also keep my younger siblings safe?

My mother has munchausens and munchausen by proxy, and because shes incredibly manipulative, my grandmother (whom she lives with) refuses to force her to get help, or see that she needs it. Two of my other siblings still live at home, (one was damaged so much by the unnecessary medication that he's now in state custody, still no charges) and are obviously significantly impacted by this and her emotional abuse. What can I do??? And if she was forced to get help would my siblings be put in foster care??

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Contact children's services and advise them of the problems. The siblings could go to foster care, or into the custody of another family member.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.