Crowley, TX asked in Legal Malpractice, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: Census bureau agent made false statements to my dad saying I had spoken with him when I had not. Is this legal?

I received a census bureau letter at my second home right b4 my week long vacation. I figured I would fill it out when I got back. When I made it back I had one letter in the mail and one on the door. I plan on filling it out tonight. My dad called me telling me that the census agent had contacted him. I asked how he got his information and he told my dad that he got it from me... which was lie number one because I never spoke to the man. He then tells my dad that he spoke with the neighbor and he had received my information from him and that he had called me and that I had told him I didn’t own the property but that my dad did and to call him... another lie. Found out the neighbor gave him my dad’s information. My dad thought the whole thing was weird so he got the guy’s information. I have a real problem with a Federal employee making false statements and saying I said things that I never did. I have never spoken with this employee. Is this legal? What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may contact the census bureau, discover the supervisor of the agent in question and lodge your complaint with the agency. No criminal offense, however, has taken place from what you describe.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.