Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Texas Federal Crimes Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: Probation on felony charge?

I have a pending felony charge against me.injury to a child with intent and bodily injury. First time criminal history.the da has not offered any deals according to my attorney, nor has he looked through said attorneys probation offer.trial is coming up.what can I do to possibly just... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 15, 2019

I will not second guess your attorney. If you do not trust your attorney then retain a new one

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Divorce for Texas on

Q: Can a no-contact order be obtained against me to keep me from my wife even though I never committed violence or threat?

I have not spoken too nor seen my wife in 15 months and suddenly, 3 weeks ago, at a hearing in my criminal case the prosecutor motioned for the order judge gave the order. He has also told my wife not to let me have anything not even a car in my name. I was falsely accused of a crime from... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 14, 2019

The prosecutor can't issue an order... they most they can do is make a motion requesting that the judge issue an order. The judge has fairly wide discretion regarding what she can order the defendant to do (or not do) when it comes to matters of protecting an alleged victim or even the general... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Criminal Law, Employment Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: What do I do if the company I work for is not sending correct child support payments for ordered amounts

This set me back in arrears and am in the process of getting incarcerated.

Cheryl Ann Wulf answered on May 20, 2019

I would suggest you speak to someone in the Human Resources to find out why they are not withholding the correct amount. It may be that they need a corrected withholding order or possibly you are not earning enough money for them to withhold the full amount. The income withholding order should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: I am in the army, I had sex with a 15 year old while under the impression she was 16

She thought she was 16 too because her mother was keeping her birth certificate and other documents and was telling her she was 16. I know the ucmj age of consent is 16 but can I still get punished because I didn’t know, and what if we get married?

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on May 7, 2019

You could be charged and convicted in civilian court. This question is marked "Texas" and, in Texas, an adult who has consensual sex with a sixteen-year-old has committed the felony offense of Sexual Assault. It is a strict liability crime, which means it doesn't matter if you knew here age, or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: what kind of lawyer do i need to talk to when i NO THAT THE POLICE ARE LYING ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN IN A DEADLY SHOOTING?

the police shot and killed my boyfriend and what they are saying isnt true about how things went down. and i no for a fact the police stole his wallet and the money that was in it...

Gary D. Peak answered on May 6, 2019

First, what evidence do you have showing it didn't happen the way they claim? Witnesses? Video? As you see online all the time, there are video's showing law enforcement using deadly force when not necessary, or using excessive force against citizens. But, before an attorney is willing to spend... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for Texas on

Q: My dad is being detained and charged with reentry and is a federal case now.Is there anything that anybody can do ?

Jose M. Rocha answered on Apr 28, 2019

You should seek advise from an attorney familiar with reentry cases in federal court and immigration law. A reentry case in federal court depends on many factors to resolve, and to adequately advise you on whether anything that anybody can do to help your father. However, it is important to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Federal Crimes, Tax Law and Antitrust for Texas on

Q: Who can enforce theft by an employer of employee withholdings and deductions?

This is not an isolated incident this is I believe, all employees over 5 years and at one point there was over a hundred employees. He has deducted for taxes Medicare social security child support none of which has ever been submitted to any of their respective places. I am still suffering behind... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 22, 2019

If any of these allegations are true you should report everything you know to the federal authorities responsible for maintaining these financial records; state with the Social Security Administration and the IRS.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Personal Injury and White Collar Crime for Texas on

Q: If a federal judge deny a complaint based on prejudice, can he or she be sued?

Roy Lee Warren answered on Mar 26, 2019

Yes they can be sued but your case would be quickly dismissed unless you can prove some egregious error because the judge has good faith immunity that is very difficult to overcome. Seldom is a suit against a federal judge successful.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: How long does a United States Attorney have to file federal charges or indict a person in their custody?

In custody 31 days. Northern District of Texas/Dallas. Non of the following has taken place: read charges, no initial appearance, seen a judge, spoke with attorney or anyone else. I spoke with Federal Public Defender and Federal District Clerk and neither could find any information on him or a case... Read more »

Grant St Julian III answered on Mar 25, 2019

The Government has until the statute of limitation has expired for a particular offense to file the charging instrument with the Court.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Texas on

Q: if im charged with a felony fraud less then 5, does it get dismissed if the one who filed the charge is dead?

Does the dead man rule apply since it isnt a civil matter or is it not dropped sincr the state picked up the charges

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 24, 2019

Any crime could prosecuted with a dead alleged victim; not just crimes like murder and manslaughter.

The case will continue unless the prosecutor decides to seek a dismissal. That said, it is certainly possible that the prosecutor's interest in the case may decline with the death of the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for Texas on

Q: Are there any laws or cases about blind obedience to authority figures? This is for some research for an English project

We are doing our own version of a court trial both prosecuting and defending different groups of people that were responsible for the holocaust. My group is in charge of defending the SS soldiers that carried out Hitler's orders without question. For our research and to help us present our case we... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Feb 25, 2019

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: How to get my money back seized by DFW Airport Police.

On a connecting flight from Las Vegas to Dallas Texas I will stop by airport police a question about the currency I had on me that I went through TSA with in Las Vegas and they allowed me through being that I was coming from the Mirage casino with my earnings of $380,000 in my backpack that was in... Read more »

Grant St Julian III answered on Feb 21, 2019

Were any criminal charges filed? Were you given any paperwork? Any notice to appear ANYWHERE? Any notice of seizure? Call your lawyer. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: My sister hit a cop.She has a warrant out for her arrest.She blacked out.What will happen to her.Shes 17.

She said she never hit the cop but multiple people saw her do it.My mom thinks she blacked out.She was resisting arrest cause they wouldnt tell her why she was being arrested.I dont know why they were arresting her anyway.

Gary Kollin answered on Feb 19, 2019

She will be prosecuted. She needs an attorney

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: How do I get defense from electronic harrasment from organized criminals using electromagnetism

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 28, 2019

A "Faraday cage" can shield against unwanted electromagnetic intrusion but that is a discussion for a science and physics forum.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: I fought a 16 year old on her property and I’m 15 and she wants to press charges what would happen to me

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 22, 2019

If you were prosecuted it would most likely be in juvenile court unless there are special circumstances. Don't be afraid to get your parents involved.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: Can a person that has press charges on someone and the state pick the case up file a motion for dismissal if its felony

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 18, 2018

No. Only the prosecutor can dismiss a criminal case. The alleged victim can let the prosecutor know that they HOPE the case will be dismissed and/or that they don't want to testify in court.... but the decision about whether or not to dismiss belongs to the prosecutor, not the alleged victim.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: for burglary of habitat, with deadly weapon in 1992 how much time you get max. is it life sentance

my brother been in since then but is eligible for parole but never makes parole. its been almost 25yrs.

Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 15, 2018

What was his sentence? That is the maximum time he will serve in prison. Remember, parole is not a given at any time, so your brother must be prepared to serve his entire sentence.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: Can my boyfriend be charged with a crime if someone else confessed the the crime?

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Oct 22, 2018

Frankly, he could be charged with the murdering the Tooth Fairy. Any of us could. Ultimately, the question is whether the prosecution can prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

The fact that someone else confessed may help the defense, but not always. Some crimes can be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: is it illegal to not report crimes?

I started up an international chat room online, and I was wondering if I could face legal consequences for not reporting crimes that people claim to have committed, say that they are in the process of committing, or say that they are planning to commit. Does it depend on the crime?

Roy Lee Warren answered on Sep 18, 2018

It depends on the situation; for instance if it is sexual assault of a child there is a duty to report it. The variables are too numerous to answer all but a good rule of thumb is to report instances when someone is in danger from future acts.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Sexual Harassment and Juvenile Law for Texas on

Q: In texas the age of consent is 17, so is it LEGAL for a 17 y/o to date and have sexual intercourse with someone who’s 24

Parents have consented to being together. I just wanted to find out about the sexual part.

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Sep 17, 2018

The felony crime of Sexual Performance By A Child applies anyone under 18 years old engaged in sexual conduct. The plain language of the law criminalizes the conduct itself, even if it does not occur as a performance. If there actually is a performance (or recording) then the parents themselves... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.