Waterbury, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: One of my conditons on probation are not being around minors, the judge won’t modify to see my son because I violated..

I was able to see my son since day one. I violated probation and they took my approved supervisors away so I now haven’t been able to see my son for a year. My ex went through training and paid to become a supervisor again and she’s getting the run around being told to check in next month when I’m continuing my compliance... put in a request for a modification and the judge said it’s up to probation... can they continue to keep me from my son?! My case has nothing to do with him!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lindy R. Urso

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The Judge is passing the buck - he or she CAN modify the conditions of your probation such that you may have contact with one specific minor, your son. Other than that, Probation has essentially the same authority as a judge to limit your freedom.

Your best bet might be to have your lawyer - or hire a new one - speak with the Prosecutor and try to convince he or she to agree; then your lawyer can file a formal Motion to Modify with a decent chance of passing muster with the Judge.

Salvatore Bonanno

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The can modify the conditions of probation; however, they often rely on the probation officer's (PO) recommendation. As a result, the PO had de facto control over what will or won't be modified.

You need to secure a criminal defense attorney to reach out to the PO and prosecutor to attempt to resolve the issue by agreement, if possible. If not, the attorney can file a motion to modify the condition of probation. Also, if you had an attorney at the time you were placed on probation, you may want to contact that attorney first as he may have some insight from representing you previously.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.