Hawthorne, CA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Mississippi

Q: Can my fiance' file a civil suit with a prison if he developed a condition that the prison may be responsible for?

My fiance' complained of back pain for months and the prison doctors just gave him moltrin and suggested that he lose weight. After not receiving the accurate diagnosis or treatment, he is now in the prison hospital ward in a wheel chair and barely able to feel his feet. He states that the prison doctors made promises they did not keep, such as supplying him with a back brace and regular therapy sessions. He is always in pain and depressed. I am afraid that they will end up transferring him to a prison housing unit where there are predators and violent inmates and he will not be able to fend for himself because of his immobility. PLEASE HELP US!

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Likely it won't be doable but for best read on it contact the Miss.Civil Liberties Union, ask for their prison rights group, ask them for the names and contact info for their "cooperating attoenys," most of who will give you a free consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.