Hyattsville, MD asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: Can my ex-husband's wife represent/otherwise speak for him in matters of our divorce, PSA, or child custody issues?

To my knowledge, my ex-husband does not have any powers of attorney in place. Even if he did, is making provisions for his wife to represent/otherwise speak for him in matters of our divorce, PSA, or child custody issues permissible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Wayne E. Holcomb
Wayne E. Holcomb
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Newport News, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Interesting question. I am picking up that you are "fully divorced" since she's a subsequent wife. She would need to be a party to the discussion/dispute to have a say in these matters, and most likely she is not--since the issues pertain to a past marriage and your current minor children together. That said, sometimes spouses can help with communication I suppose. (Most of the time though, they are not helpful at all.) The PSA preceded his next marriage presumably, and the children of course belong to you and your ex-husband. I think it is appropriate and reasonable to demand that your ex-husband communicate with you directly--unless the wife can help you and your children! If so, then maybe her talking is OK. Our best to you and your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.