Cuyahoga Falls, OH asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: New commercial neighbor is a convicted rapist & sex offender w admissions of harming children. Does this count?

My landlord rented to a convicted sex offender w no background check. I informed him of this mans past. He’s been convicted of multiple indescent exposures, rape, pandering kiddy porn. He also admitted in a court doc to publicly masturbating near schools in hopes of being seen.

My only employee has 3 school age children. He stated he can “never bring them there” I’ve been in my lease 2 months. This person signed 2 weeks ago.

I’ve been told I’m free to break the lease, but will be responsible for rent until it gets signed by a new tenant.

Am I free to use 5321.14 as means to break my lease immediately w out having to continue to pay rent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: R.C. 5321.14 is not going to help you. That concerns unconscionable terms in the lease agreement, not your dissatisfaction with the proximity of a sex offender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.