Vancouver, WA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Washington

Q: How does my new husband adopt my daughter? What do we need to do?

Her biological dad has not been in the picture since she was 3 or 4. She is now 9 years old. I live in Vancouver WA. We are recently married and had decided to wait tell we we're married to have him adopt her we thought it would be easier. We want to have her adopted and she would like to take his last name as well. We are hoping there is a way to do it all at the same time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You and your spouse should contact an attorney to initiate an adoption proceeding in Clark County Superior Court. Before doing so, I recommend that you have the birth father sign a consent to the adoption. You can complete the adoption and name change in the same proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.