San Diego, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Hi, my ex-husband & I split when our daughter was 2.5 We used a mediator and custody was split- 40% to him,60% to me.

& he was ordered to pay $400 per month. She is now 12 and has lived with me 100% and he has paid ZERO. What can I do? Have him subpoenad for a child support hearing? He thinks/says he will destroy me in court. No merit to that. He has an active warrant for his arrest for a DUI from 2015. We are in San Diego. I am DESPERATE and BROKE. It wasn't a big deal before because I made enough money without his help but now I'm unemployed & searching for work. He's in construction so some of his pay is under the table. His mother, a CPA does his taxes.PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you!!! I am so desperate and my daughter needs so many things that I cannot afford. What are my options??

1 Lawyer Answer
Valerie Kraml
Valerie Kraml
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can file a Request to Modify Support and Visitation, and also bring in the Dept of Child Support Services (they normally coordinate guideline support payments upon delegation of the court). That will help you get an increase in support from the date of filing into the future. There are judicial counsil forms available at You should get help from the court family law self help, private counsel or a certified family law paralegal to ensure that you have filled out the forms properly and/or attached the pertinent documents.

In terms of the arrears, you can bring the issue up with Dept of Child Support Services and have them help garnish wages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.