San Francisco, CA asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Securities Law for California

Q: i was awarded half of my wife's 403.b in our divorce. Now she won't sign the bank papers to do the split. What can i do?

She took out and defaulted on 4 loans using the account as collateral so the bank is wanting to pay off the loans and then split the remainder.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: need more facts

the first thing i would do is to contact the lawyer who worked on the divorce.

she appears to be in default of a court order.

you may have to go back to court to ask court to find her in contempt

if you did not retain a family law atty do so as that is not my area of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.