Fort Collins, CO asked in Foreclosure and Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: Long story short: parents upside down on bills; likely to lose their house to foreclosure. No where to go. No money.

My parents are 80. My mother has Alzheimer's. Obviously I don't want them to be homeless. There is no family money and their lending agency (Bank of America). Can they declare bankruptcy and keep their home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A chapter 13 bankruptcy proceeding is designed to enable debtors to keep their houses. There are debt maximum limits, however, and a Chapter 13 debtor must be receiving "periodic income" with which to fund a plan. Social security payments qualify as periodic income, if sufficient in amount to fund a plan to cure mortgage arrears, over and above necessary living expenses. Once a bankruptcy is filed, the arrearage amount ceases to earn interest.

Other key facts not stated in the question- is there equity value in the home? Are the other debts joint obligations of the parents? While PA state law allows a tenancy by entirety exemption of property, it does not protect the home where the debt, e.g., credit card debt, is substantially jointly owed by both home owners.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.