Nashua, NH asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Small Claims for New Hampshire

Q: I was scammed buying a used car and am wondering if there is anything I can do to get my money back? (more info below)

I bought a used car through a private sale. The man who sold the car lied about its condition and guaranteed that it would pass inspection. When I questioned him on guaranteeing NH inspection, he then had a mechanic back him up. He had me meet him at the mechanic shop, and the mechanic said he had just inspected and made sure it was in working order, and even put a sticker on the car and printed an inspection report. So based on this I purchased the vehicle. When I took my car to my mechanic, he did not pass the car, and printed off a long list of safety issues the car had. My mechanic said that the previous mechanic passed the car illegally and had lied about its condition. I have the craigslist ad printed, and the inspection report from the seller's mechanic. I also have a report from my mechanic.

Would I have a case if I brought this to small claims court? Or is there anything I can do? I tried multiple times to reach out to the seller, but he is avoiding me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You could call your local police department, and the Attorney generals office and file a complaint, they could investigate the allegation and if the mechanic did in fact pass a car and give you an inspection sticker illegally, take away his ability to give them out, fine him, or even charge him with a crime of fraud. You then may have a lawsuit against the seller and the mechanic for conspiracy if in fact it can be proven. If charges are brought and anyone of these guys are found guilty, winning a lawsuit becomes easier. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.