Channelview, TX asked in Civil Rights, Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense for Texas

Q: I have been served papers for a civil lawsuit I gave copies to my past employer and insurance Co. What do I reply saying

I had gotten hit in my company van. my employer fired me shortly after the man hit my company vando to being a liability. I just got served papers. i know to give them a copy they signed for, and also my insurance company did also. the paperwork says to reply within 20 days. who and what am I replying to and about?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kim Jones Penepacker
Kim Jones Penepacker
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Arlington, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: As soon as possible, you should hire a personal injury defense attorney to assist you in filing an Answer with the Court. Failure to do so could result in a default judgment being entered against you, which would be a judgment in favor of the Plaintiff(s) that you would likely have to pay. A personal injury defense attorney can help you with the contents of your Answer and explain the consequences for failing to respond in greater detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.