Ashland, MA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Massachusetts

Q: How can I get my landlord to remove an abandoned vehicle by a previous tenant from our driveway?


My landlord won't seem to remove an abandoned car from our townhouse driveway even though everyone wants him to. He kept not doing anything so I called the city police and they said I can put a 24 hour watch on the car and they'd tow it. But feeling bad for the landlord, in case he'd have to pay money, I told them to not do it yet and told my landlord about the option. He told me the process is more complicated for him. That it would take months and a lot of paperwork to get a lien on the vehicle. And then he said the towing company would charge him 1000 dollars to remove the car. He said it was from a previous tenant who left and owes him 25,000 dollars. That's complete baloney because its his responsibility with the money we give him and I read junk yards take cars for free. Is there any option I could offer him that would cost less than like 400 dollars? How much would it cost a landlord to do this? Also is what he's doing illegal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Espinosa
John Espinosa
  • Lowell, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You have answered your own question. You want the abandoned vehicle removed, and you know the police will remove it. Here is the relevant law so you can see how abandoned vehicles are handled:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.