Williamsport, PA asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I file bankruptcy?

Im in the middle of a divorce, both names on the house and car. Ex got the car, and I got the house. He let the car get repossessed and I was not notified that it was until the day of by the ex. Now bank is trying to sue us both. Also I cant afford the house, its one whole paycheck of mine and Ive tried to get help but ex will not work with me to lower payment by submitting financial info to the bank. Bank isn't helping much either, now that Im stuck with it. And cannot refinance since my credit score is now low. So now the bank is going to come after me very soon. Im thinking about bankruptcy but unsure of what to do at this point. Credit is already ruined, and I'm not sure what to do... Help!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you have an attorney for your divorce, discuss this with her/him. When a bankruptcy action is filed, it places an automatic stay on all state court actions. That means that the PA court cannot proceed in your divorce action until either the bankruptcy has been completed or dismissed, or the bankruptcy court lifts it's stay at the request of the bankrupt (you.) You should also speak with a bankruptcy attorney about filing but be sure you discuss the impact on your divorce. Sometimes I'm told by clients that the bankruptcy attorney told then the bankruptcy wouldn't affect the divorce but that's not true.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.