Palmdale, CA asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for California

Q: Custodial parent calling police and cps and falsely making claims such as no hot water, no electricity and other lies.

I want to file a restraining order for harassment and false reports. This is during a custody matter. Would I be able to request for a copy of the police report and use it during the restraining order hearing? What can I do as this causes my children to be fearful and show signs of anxiety ever since. Thank you

2 Lawyer Answers
Hayden Gifford Smith
Hayden Gifford Smith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Visalia, CA

A: Sounds rough.

Remember that the police may regard you as a suspect. You can go to the station and try to get reports but don't walk in there like you own the place or you're cause is self-evidently righteous (even though it may well be.)

There are two sources of information and forms: the internet and the appropriate clerk at the courthouse.

If you have internet access get online and onto Google, input your county, e.g. "Fresno", then "+court+self-help."

You could throw "restraining order" in in quotes (which makes the search literal), et cetera. Courts are now measuring and trying hard to remove the cloak of mystery from legal sh**. Lol.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: a lot more info is needed.

i would discuss with my lawyer and if you don't have one you should get one.

if you can't afford one try legal aid.

if none of these is possible you can file yourself for a restraining order. I suspect the civil clerk would be able to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.