Richmond, VA asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: In the state of VA does not eroded documents for a child need to be updated yearly?

Me and my child’s father have a notarized documents not through the courts for our child, I want to move but our agreement from over a year ago says I can’t. Does he have the right to take me to court over it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you have an agreement signed and notarized between the two of you regarding the child, it can be brought to the court for enforcement as a contract.

Depending on what the agreement says, and the circumstances surrounding the drafting and signing of the agreement, it may or may not be upheld as valid in court.

Please consult an attorney for more specific advice regarding your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.