Campbellsville, KY asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Consumer Law for Kentucky

Q: Is a check that was agreed to be held that gets cashed by a business and returned as NSF a civil or criminal matter?

We wrote a check on march 9th at a car lot in Ky for a down payment that the manager agreed to hold until we got our tax refund. Their finance department wasnt told to hold the check and it went to the bank over that weekend and was subsequently returned as non sufficient funds, they were supposed to hold it until I called to tell them the refund was deposited and then they could process the check. Our refund has been delayed and they are threatening to turn it over to the county attorneys office.

My question is, since they agreed to hold it and its tge only reason we signed the buyers agreement, would it still be a cold check and criminal matter or would it be a civil matter. I read on a Lexington ky attorney website that if they agreed to hold it and it bounces it is a civil matter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: The Lexington attorney is correct. If they agreed to hold it ( knowing the funds weren’t there and wouldn’t be there until later), it is a civil matter as you cannot defraud one who accepts a check knowing that the funds are not contemporaneously there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.