Norfolk, VA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: I'm moving to Canada and I have no court order to even have visitation of my son how do I make it so he can visit me?

His father has had full custody for 5 years but I see my son every other weekend. I have no legal standing because I couldnt make it to court I was in FL at the time. I dont want to take custody because my son wants to live with his dad but I want him to be able to visit. His dad wont let me take him out of the state let alone the country.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Miyares
Steve Miyares
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Moving to Canad is a significant chamge in circumstances since the Court last made a custody decision 5 years ago. Based on the chang in circumstances, you can petitin the court to modify the visitation schedule from the prior order. You should consult with an attorney to help you pursue the best optins in your particular situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.