Redding, CA asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for California

Q: I was married and adopted my wife’s daughter where the biological father gave up his rights. My daughter is 15 now and

Has been in contact with him for the last yr. He has been in contact with her mother and wants to fly her out this summer for a week. I do not agree as she has made some bad choices and isn’t trustworthy right now and don’t feel she is ready to meet him after 12 yrs of him being absent. #1 what rights do I have it the final say if mother doesn’t agree with me and attempts to send her anyway. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Crista Marie Haynes
Crista Marie Haynes
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As her legal father you have 50/50 rights with her mother and as such her mother cannot send her out of the state to see her absent biological father without your consent. Worst case scenario you would be able to call the police to stop your daughter from getting on the plane and if somehow your wife and daughter managed to pull a fast one and get her to the other state you would be able to file for an emergency hearing to get the DA's offices's child abduction unit involved to be able to bring her back home. There are definitely multiple ways to protect yourself but you definitely should consult an attorney to know the full spectrum of your rights. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.