Honolulu, HI asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Hawaii

Q: Adopted daughter is 16 now. We got her at 14. Previously PTSD, child molestation, reactive attachment disorder issue.

Daughter now claims I sexually molested her. She is currently in the Philippines for a year. What is the civil and criminal statute of limitations in Hawaii to bring this false accusation on me? I looked it up. Could I be charged with 1st degree sexual assault, a Class A felony? I am contemplating just leaving her there. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: I would suggest having a full, thorough consultation with an attorney, as I am unclear as to the details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.