Zephyr Cove, NV asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: How long does a parent have to serve the other parent with paperwork after the petition has been filed with the court?

Paperwork was filed, but was not served to me for 221 days after the date of file with the court. It was a Petition for Custody and Support.

1 Lawyer Answer
Crista Marie Haynes
Crista Marie Haynes
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: They do not have to serve you with their Petition but they cannot move forward with the case until they serve you. Once you are served you have 30 days to respond. If you do not respond within those thirty days the other party may file a request to enter default and proceed in your absence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.