Q: The cops came to my house looking for brother asking a statement for

The cops came to my house looking for brother asking a statement from him. They said they dont have a warrant but if he doesnt talk to them they will get one. This is about a shooting. What are his rights (hes 17) ? Is this a trick to take him to jail?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Lawyer up. They can't get a warrant to force a statement. They can get a Warrant for Arrest, if there is probable cause and it's issued by a proper judicial official. They may also get a Search Warrant, again with proper grounds (normally via oath or affidavit) to search for something.

But there is no such thing as a Warrant to Compel Statement. There IS such thing as the Right to Legal Counsel and the Right to Remain Silent.

Here is a podcast that might help: https://www.carolinaattorneys.com/homicide-what-to-do-when-you-or-a-loved-one-is-facing-murder-or_1.html

Best bet would be to retain legal counsel and not post anything else online.

Bill Powers

Criminal Defense Lawyer Charlotte NC

Kristen Dewar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.