Morganville, NJ asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Support and Arbitration / Mediation Law for New Jersey

Q: Had economic mediation last week and are to sign off June 11,2017 with judge and not happy with MSA outcome.

MSA not signed yet as it was not sent/forwarded to me. Husband of 22 yrs left family with 4 children June 2017 and filed for divorce. I retained attorney in Oct 2017 and requested support. As of yet no support given. They want me to empty retirement acct early, not husband though, to pay 1/2 of marital credit card debt which he denies any part of. I'm to get temp 1/2 mortgage payment a month until house is sold within next several months and no child support yet due from him because will now be "offsetting" with 1/2 mortgage payment and no retro payments of any sort while I had continued making payments on mortgage, credit cards, house repairs/maintenance, take care of children on one salary for past 12 months. Recently have lost my job and no income coming in but that's not taken into account. Something has gone awry here. I have emailed and called my lawyer, but no response or call backs. Please help, don't know what to do. I was never a nuisance to my lawyer and paid on time.

2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should never think of yourself as a nuisance to your attorney. You are entitled to change attorneys at any time if you are not satisfied. Without a document review, it is not possible to provide more specific answers. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney who knows how to handle your case. You should not be restricted by geographic factors. Pick the best lawyer you can find and remember one rule: a good lawyer is generally never cheap, and a cheap lawyer is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question.

If you have not yet signed an agreement and are not satisfied with same, do not sign the document. The agreement does not become enforceable until each party executes it. As a result, you may have more time to reconsider your position as well as reach other terms. Based on your circumstances, it would be best to contact an experienced family law attorney to address your specific concerns.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.