Orlando, FL asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: I got served for a lawsuit about a car of mine that got repossed two years ago? What are the next steps I have to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tina El Fadel
Tina El Fadel
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The Summons you received will provide you with instructions on what are the next steps you should take. If this is a county court case ($5,000-$15,000) or circuit court case (above $15,000.00) you have to file a Response to the Complaint within 20 days and serve the same on the Plaintiff's attorney and file a copy of it with the Clerk of Court. If it is a small claims action (under $5,000.00) there should be a date for you to appear in Court--on said date you will attend a mediation to see if the matter can be settled--if not you will receive a trial date from the Judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.