Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: 49 yrs living in us since i was 4 wks old. Permanent resident. Birth cert shows father as us citizen. Am i a us citizen?

I am 49 yrs old. Been in us since i was 4 weeks old. Currently a permanent resident. Birth cert shows father as us citizen. Wouldnt i automatically be a us citizen? Parents are already deceased. And if i am a us citizen. How do i go about verifying or stating i am a us citizen. Do i not need to renew permanent residency card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You very well may be a US citizen. However, there are a lot questions which need to be answered including: Were your parents married at the time of your birth? Was your father a US citizen at that time? How long had he been physically present in the US prior to your birth? How old were you when you became a permanent resident?

Schedule an appointment with an attorney experienced in derivative citizenship law.

Carl Shusterman


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.