Q: i was arrest in DEC 2013 but don't know what were the charges correctly,Do I have to mention in citizenship application.

I was arrested in West Chester, Ohio on December 2013, for Civil Disobedience. I had to stay in Jail for 5 hours and next day had to court, court gave us warning and drooped charges to minor charges such as speeding ticket or Trust passing in private property.

Now I don't remember what were the charges exactly and I don't have any document of it.

How I can find that ?

Also applying for citizenship and do not know, Should i have to mention that or not , If i have to then what should I write (what was the charges) in form?

Please guide.


1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Yes, you must reveal your conviction on your N-400 application. You should order a certified copy of the record of conviction from the court where you were convicted. It does not sound like your conviction will negatively affect your application for naturalization.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.