Phoenix, AZ asked in Entertainment / Sports, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Arizona

Q: Can "Entertainment Inc." Purchase property? Multiple Properties?

If I own an entertainment corporation can I purchase property in my corporations name. I want to purchase 2 commercial properties. Both will be a storage/warehouse for equipment but in separate states because I provide entertainment services in different states and hate shipping equipment back and forth.

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Provided your corporation's governing documents allow it, your corporation can purchase real estate. Check with a lawyer in each state where you plan to purchase property. You may need to register your corporation as a foreign corporation doing business in each state. Your local lawyer will know.

Eric  Day
Eric Day
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Henderson, NV

A: Entertainment inc can by property, however it is not a great entity to hold real property. C corporations are horrible vehicles for holding real estate because you don’t get the benefits of capital assets in a C Corporation. I would put the properties in LLCs owned 100% by yourself or a holding LLC and then rent the properties out to your CCorporation. This will allow you to personally take advantage of capital asset treatment but also give you a rental deduction to your active income in the CCorporation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.