Phoenix, AZ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: How to go about getting someone out your house

I was living with a friend of mine for two years he owns the house Im talking about he has no children or imedate family about a year of me residing there we discuss what will happen to the house if anything happens to him he said he would like to make a will up so I can get the house & pass it to my children & so on & so forth before we got around to doing that a year later I got into a legal situation where I ended up serving a 4 month sentence during that time a mutal friend of ours had no where to go so we aloud him to stay there well this is 11 months later & he refuses he refuses to go I know the house isn't in my name yet but the owner is on my side & wants them gone as well not to mention for the pass 10 months the bills have been off & they're stealing electricity damaging the property by cutting water lines to get cash for the copper & scraping the $1000 water heater I had just installed before I was incarcerated & there is trash throughout the whole property

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The property owner will need to judicially evict this person. The Arizona Residential Landlord Tenant code describes this procedure. Filing can be done in Justice Court and the Court can usually help with forms. This is an unusual situation and I recommend that you seek the advice of a real estate attorney who practices in the area of landlord tenant law before you take action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.