Saugus, MA asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island

Q: I was assaulted in the dark outside my apartment and did not see the attacker and accused my boyfriend after he found me

I made attempts to clear his name but no one returned my calls. Over a year later he was arrested because of a warrant we weren't aware of over this matter and a no contact order is now in place. What is the likelihood that I could be in trouble for giving a false statement to the police? I live in rhode island.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You need a meeting in private with an attorney. So does your boyfriend. Domestic violence cases have a high frequency of victims who recant their original statement to the police, and a prosecutor is not going to just dismiss the charge without some additional investigation. You are correct that there is a risk that you could be charged with making a false statement, but there is more to this. An attorney can help the both of you. Get in to see someone as soon as possible.

Neville Bedford agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.