Springfield, MO asked in Child Support and Family Law for Virginia

Q: Is there any way child support could be extended while my child is in college in Virginia without me agreeing to it?

Two daughters I've paid support on faithfully and have records to prove it. Younger one - just found had a GED and is out of school and is over 18. Other has been in college for going on 2nd year - far past 18. Based on this I informed the mother I've stopped support payments. Mother claims I still owe, lawyer advised her, until the one in college is out but there is no secondary agreement in the divorce decree or any support amaendment stipulating this. The order has the 18 (or the high school graduate exception) checked off for termination of the order. I'm at a loss to understand how that claim could be true. I live in MO now but mother and daughters are still in VA and the college is there as well. Case is in VA and has always been.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon R. Moss
Sharon R. Moss

A: If you are not in arrears on your child support payments, then if the child support order was issued in Virginia, your obligation to pay child support should terminate upon the child turning 18 and having graduated from high school. If there is no agreement otherwise between you and your ex, then your obligation should be over based on the information you have provided. Please speak to an attorney to get more specific advice on your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.