Louisville, KY asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Kentucky

Q: How can I utilize my post judgement interrogatory from a small claims court defendant?

I won a small claims court case in KY but the defendant did not pay the court-ordered restitution. I eventually filed a post judgement interrogatory form to the defendant. After threatening a contempt action for not returning the court document, the defendant showed up to court, quickly filled out the interrogatory and signed it. The only listed asset he says he has is his truck which he verbally said he would sell to pay the restitution. How long do I need to wait to be payed? Can I use this interrogatory form to place a lien on his truck? Can I force him to sell his truck to pay the restitution? Can I take ownership of the truck? Trying to determine what my next steps are - any help appreciated.

"I want my $2....." - Better Off Dead (1985) https://youtu.be/FsxJfcFVnpo

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can go to the clerk of court and have a garnishment or execution issued for property of the defendant which may achieve the goals you’re seeking. Because there are certain property exemptions available to Defendant, you may want to contact a local lawyer to help you with this step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.