Kentucky Collections Questions & Answers

Q: How do I find out if a judgement has been passed against me?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Collections for Kentucky on
Answered on Jan 27, 2019
Timothy Denison's answer
Go to the courthouse, have them pull the file and you will be able to see if they have s judgment and is so, what collection efforts are underway against you. You may want to hire a lawyer to help you try and settle the case.

Q: Got a judgement in the mail saying ordered and adjudged what does that mean?

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Rights and Collections for Kentucky on
Answered on Oct 9, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
Ordered and adjudged means “ordered.” It does not mean garnishment directly but it could give rise to a garnishment.

Q: How can I utilize my post judgement interrogatory from a small claims court defendant?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 23, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
You can go to the clerk of court and have a garnishment or execution issued for property of the defendant which may achieve the goals you’re seeking. Because there are certain property exemptions available to Defendant, you may want to contact a local lawyer to help you with this step.

Q: In ky, what is the statute of limitations on filing a misdemeanor warrant for theft by deception including cold checks?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and White Collar Crime for Kentucky on
Answered on Apr 17, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
The statute of limitations on filing a misdemeanor charge (s) is one year.

Q: Bankruptcy or credit card question. Can I be arrested for not paying creditors?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Kentucky on
Answered on Feb 19, 2018
David Earl Phillips' answer
There is no debtor's prison. If there was, over 50% of Americans would be in jail. You may very well be judgment proof and not need a bankruptcy filing. It would still not hurt to talk with a bankruptcy near you to get an opinion and to see all of your options. Most lawyers offer a free consultation to review your situation. Hope it works out. Good luck!

Q: How can I stop a wage attachment

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Car Accidents, Collections and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Answered on Dec 24, 2017
David Earl Phillips' answer
See a Bankruptcy lawyer near you. Stopping a wage attachment is something that comes up in a lot of bankruptcy cases and can be dealt with very quickly. A bankruptcy lawyer can look over your entire situation and see if bankruptcy would be a good option. There may be other ways to deal with this other than bankruptcy under Kentucky law and the bankruptcy lawyer will know what would be best for taking care of the problem. Hope it works out. Good luck!

Q: If husband files bankruptcy am I, his wife, liable for his medical debts

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Collections and Family Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Nov 9, 2016
Nick Curtis Thompson's answer
No not unless you signed to be liable for them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.