Capitol Heights, MD asked in Collections for Virginia

Q: Can a hoispital collect a bill they say I owe from 19 years ago

I was on their assisatance in 1999 a single Mom but they said I have to have the paper to prove it I have no paper it’s been too long Do I have to pay this

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO

A: Each state has its own statute of limitations. Google your state's name, "breach of contract," and "statute of limitations." My guess is that the claim is time-barred. Certain actions, like a payment toward the debt, might restart the statutory period.

L. Ilaine  Upton
L. Ilaine Upton
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In Virginia, the statute of limitations to collect a medical debt is either five years or three years, depending on the facts, but I wonder whether the hospital got a judgment against you? If so, the limit to collect a judgment from general district court is ten years, but it can be renewed for another ten years. The limit to collect a judgment from circuit court is twenty years, but it also can be renewed.

If they are trying to collect a debt, they have to prove that you owe it. If you dispute the debt in writing, and ask for proof that you owe the debt, that would be a good place to start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.